Aquat. Living Resour.
Volume 21, Number 2, April-June 2008
|Page(s)||135 - 144|
|Published online||29 April 2008|
- Alverson D.L., Freeberg M.H., Murawski S.A., Pope J.G., 1994, A global assessment of fisheries bycatch and discards. Rome, FAO.
- Beek V.A., Van Leeuwen P.I., Rijnsdorp A.D., 1990, On the survival of plaice and sole discards in the otter trawl and beam trawl fisheries in the North Sea. Neth. J. Sea Res. 26, 151–160. [CrossRef]
- Beltestad A.K., Misund O.A., 1995, Size selection in purse seines. In: Solving bycatch: considerations for today and tomorrow. Alaska Sea Grant College Program Report No 96-03, pp. 227–233.
- Borges T.C., Erzini K, Bentes L., Costa M.E., Gonçalves J.M.S., Lino P.G., Pais C., Ribeiro J., 2001, By-catch and discarding practices in five Algarve southern Portugal metiers. J. Appl. Ichthyol. 17, 104–114. [CrossRef]
- Broadhurst M.K., 2000, Modifications to reduce bycatch in prawn trawls: a review and framework for development. Rev. Fish Biol. Fish. 10, 27–60. [CrossRef]
- CEC, 1992, Report from the Commission to the Council on the discarding of fish in Community fisheries: causes, impact, solutions. Brussels, Commission of the European Communities, pp. 1–50.
- Chopin F., Inoue Y., Matsushita Y., Arimoto T., 1995, Sources of accounted and unaccounted fishing mortality. In: Solving bycatch: considerations for today and tomorrow. Alaska Sea Grant College Program Report No 96–03, pp. 41–47.
- Clucas I., 1997, A study of the options for utilization of bycatch and discards from marine capture fisheries. Rome, FAO.
- Crean K., Symes D., 1994, The discards problem: towards a European solution. Mar. Pollut. 18, 422–434. [CrossRef]
- Davis M.W., Ryer C.H., 2003, Understanding fish bycatch discard and escapee mortality. AFSC Quartely Report, Seattle, pp. 1–9.
- Engas A., 1994, The effects of trawl performance and fish behaviour on the catching efficiency of demersal sampling trawls. In: Ferno A., Olsen S. (Eds.) Marine Fish Behaviour in Capture and Abundance Estimation. Oxford, Fishing News Books, pp. 45–65.
- Erzini K., Costa M.E., Bentes L., Borges T.C., 2002, A comparative study of the species composition of discards from five fisheries from the Algarve southern Portugal. Fish. Manage. Ecol. 9, 31–40. [CrossRef]
- Erzini K., 2005, Trends in NE Atlantic landings (southern Portugal): identifying the relative importance of fisheries and environmental variables. Fish. Oceanogr. 14, 195–209. [CrossRef]
- Glass C.W., Wardle C.S., Gosden S.J., Racey D.N., 1995, Studies on the use of visual stimuli to control fish escape from codends. Part I. Laboratory studies on the effect of a black tunnel on mesh penetration. Fish. Res. 23, 157–164.
- Gonçalves J.M.S., Erzini K., 2000, The reproductive biology of the black sea bream, Spondyliosoma cantharus (L.) from the SW Coast of Portugal. Sci. Mar. 64, 403–411.
- Gonçalves J.M.S., Stergiou K.I., Hernando J.A., Puente E., Moutopoulos D.K., Arregi L., Soriguer M.C., Vila C., Coelho R., Erzini K., 2007, Discards of experimental trammel nets in southern European small-scale fisheries. Fish. Res. 8, 5–14.
- Gray C.A., Larsen R.B., Kennelly S.J., 2000, Use of transparent netting to improve size selection and reduce selectivity and reduce bycatch in fish seine nets. Fish. Res. 45, 155–166. [CrossRef]
- Hall M.A., 1994, Bycatch in purse-seine fisheries. In: Pitcher T.J., Chuenpagdee R. (Eds.) Bycatches in fisheries and their impact on the ecosystem. The Fisheries Centre, Vancouver, University of British Columbia, pp. 53–58.
- Hall M.A., 1996, On bycatches. Rev. Fish Biol. Fish. 6, 319–352. [CrossRef]
- Hall M.A., Alverson D.L., Metuzals K.I., 2000, Bycatch: problems and solutions. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 411-6, 204–219. [CrossRef]
- Hannah R.W., Jones S.A., 2000, By-catch reduction in an ocean shrimp trawl from a simple modification to the trawl footrope. J. Northw. Atl. Fish. Sci. 27, 227–233. [CrossRef]
- Hannah C.G., Shore J.A., Loder J.W., 2000, The drift retention dichotomy on Browns Bank: a model study of interannual variability. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 57, 2506–2518. [CrossRef]
- ICN, 2006, Livro vermelho dos vertebrados de Portugal. Lisboa, Instituto de Conservação da Natureza, ICN.
- IGP, 2007, Portuguese Fisheries Inspection Department. Minimum legal sizes. http://www.igp.pt. Downloaded on September, 4, 2007.
- IUCN, 2007, IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. http://www.iucnredlist.org. Downloaded on September, 4, 2007.
- Kelleher K., 2005, Discards in the world's marine fisheries: an update. FAO Fish. Tech. Paper 470, 1–131.
- Kennelly S.J., Broadhurst M.K., 2002, By-catch begone: changes in the philosophy of fishing technology. Fish Fish. 3, 340–355.
- Mesnil B., 1996, When discards survive: Accounting for survival of discards in fisheries assessments. Aquat. Living Resour. 9, 209–215. [CrossRef] [EDP Sciences]
- Misund O.A., 1994, Swimming behaviour of fish schools in connection with capture by purse-seine and pelagic trawl. In: Ferno A., Olsen S. (Eds.) Marine Fish Behaviour in Capture and Abundance Estimation. Oxford, Fishing News Books, pp. 84–106.
- Revill A.S., Holst R., 2004, Reducing discards of North Sea brown shrimp (C. crangon) by trawl modification. Fish. Res. 68, 113–122. [CrossRef]
- Saila S.B. 1983, Importance and assessment of discards in commercial fisheries. FAO Fish. Circ. No. 765, 1–62.
- Santos A.M.P., Borges M.F., Groom S., 2001, Sardine and horse mackerel recruitment and upwelling off Portugal. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 58, 589–596. [CrossRef]
- SAS Institute Inc., 1988, SAS/STAT* User's Guide. Release 6.03. NC: SAS Institute Inc.
- Snedecor G.W., Cochran W.G., 1989, Statistical Methods. Iowa State University Press/AMES.
- StatSoft, Inc. 1996, STATISTICA for Windows. Tulsa, StatSoft, Inc.
- Stratoudakis Y., Marçalo A., 2002, Sardine slipping during purse-seining off northern Portugal. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 59, 1256–1262. [CrossRef]
- Tingley D., Erzini K., Goulding I., 2000, Evaluation of the state of knowledge concerning discards practices in European Fisheries. European Parliament, MegaPesca.
- Valdemarsen J.W., Isaksen B., 1994, Bycatch reduction in trawls by utilizing behavioural differences. In: Ferno A., Olsen S. (Eds.) Marine Fish Behaviour in Capture and Abundance Estimation. Oxford, Fishing News Books, pp. 69–83.
Current usage metrics show cumulative count of Article Views (full-text article views including HTML views, PDF and ePub downloads, according to the available data) and Abstracts Views on Vision4Press platform.
Data correspond to usage on the plateform after 2015. The current usage metrics is available 48-96 hours after online publication and is updated daily on week days.
Initial download of the metrics may take a while.