Aquat. Living Resour.
Volume 31, 2018
|Number of page(s)||14|
|Published online||12 December 2017|
- Adams A, Reeve L. The Zoology of the Voyage of HMS Samarang, Mollusca, London, 1850, pp. 87
- Anderson MJ. 2001. A new method for non-parametric multivariate analysis of variance. Austral Ecol 26: 32–46.
- Anderson MJ, Walsh DC. 2013. PERMANOVA, ANOSIM, and the Mantel test in the face of heterogeneous dispersions: what null hypothesis are you testing? Ecol Monogr 83: 557–574. [CrossRef]
- Anderson MJ, Willis TJ. 2003. Canonical analysis of principal coordinates: a useful method of constrained ordination for ecology. Ecology 84: 511–525. [CrossRef]
- Anderson M, Gorley RN, et al. Permanova+ for Primer: Guide to Software and Statistical Methods, 2008.
- Auster PJ, Malatesta RJ, et al. 1996. The impacts of mobile fishing gear on seafloor habitats in the Gulf of Maine (Northwest Atlantic): implications for conservation of fish populations. Rev Fish Sci 4: 185–202. [CrossRef]
- Barry JP. 1989. Reproductive response of a marine annelid to winter storms: an analog to fire adaptation in plants? Mar Ecol Prog Ser 54: 99–107. [CrossRef]
- Bax N, Williamson A, et al. 2003. Marine invasive alien species: a threat to global biodiversity. Mar policy 27: 313–323. [CrossRef]
- Beck F, Pezy JP, et al. 2015. Effects of clam rake harvesting on the intertidal Ruditapes habitat of the English Channel. ICES J Mar Sci 72: 2663–2673. [CrossRef]
- Bergman M, van Santbrink J. Fishing mortality of populations of megafauna in sandy sediments, in: M.J. Kaiser, S.J. de Groot (eds.), Effects of fishing on non-target species and habitats, Blackwell Science, Oxford, 2000, pp. 49–68.
- Borja A, Franco J, et al. 2000. A marine biotic index to establish the ecological quality of soft-bottom benthos within European estuarine and coastal environments. Mar Pollut Bull 40: 1100–1114. [CrossRef]
- Borenstein MJ, Hedges LV, et al. Introduction to meta-analysis, John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., New York, 2009. [CrossRef]
- Bradshaw C, Tjensvoll I, et al. 2012. Bottom trawling resuspends sediment and releases bioavailable contaminants in a polluted fjord. Environ Pollut 170: 232–241. [CrossRef]
- Bridges TS, Levin LA, et al. 1994. Effects of sediment amended with sewage, algae, or hydrocarbons on growth and reproduction in two opportunistic polychaetes. J Exp Mar Biol Ecol 177: 99–119. [CrossRef]
- Britton W. Clam Cultivation Manual − No. 8. A special publication of Aquaculture explained in conjunction with Taighde Teo, 1991.
- Britton JC, Morton B. 1994. Marine Carrion and Scavengers. Oceanogr Mar Biol Ann Rev 32: 369–434.
- Buchanan J, Sheader M, et al. 1978. Sources of variability in the benthic macrofauna off the south Northumberland coast, 1971–1976. J Mar Biol Assoc UK 58: 191–209. [CrossRef]
- Caswell H, Cohen JE. 1991. Disturbance, interspecific interaction and diversity in metapopulations. Biol J Linn Soc 42: 193–218. [CrossRef]
- Cesar CP. 2003. The impact of clam fishing techiques on the infauna of Poole Harbour, in: Dissertation Submitted in Partial Fulfilment of the Requirements for the Degree of MSc (Oceanography), School of Earth and Ocean Science, University of Southampton.
- Chainho P, Costa J, et al. Seasonal and spatial patterns of distribution of subtidal benthic invertebrate communities in the Mondego River, Portugal—a poikilohaline estuary. Marine Biodiversity, Springer, 2006, pp. 59–74.
- Chiesa S, Lucentini L, et al. 2017. A history of invasion: COI phylogeny of Manila clam Ruditapes philippinarum in Europe. Fish Res 186: 25–35. [CrossRef]
- Clarke KR, Gorley RN. PRIMERv6: User Manual/Tutorial. PRIMER-E: Plymouth, 2006.
- Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences, Lawrence Earlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, New Jersey, 1988, pp. 20–26.
- Collie JS, Hall SJ, et al. A quantitative analysis of fishing impacts on shelf-sea benthos, British Ecological Society, 2000, p. 785.
- Cotter A, Walker P, et al. 1997. Trial of a tractor dredger for cockles in Burry Inlet, South Wales. ICES J Mar Sci: J Cons 54: 72–83. [CrossRef]
- Dauvin JC, Ruellet T. 2009. The estuarine quality paradox: is it possible to define an ecological quality status for specific modified and naturally stressed estuarine ecosystems? Mar Pollut Bull 59: 38–47. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Dauvin JC, Andrade H, et al. 2016. Polychaete/amphipod ratios: an approach to validating simple benthic indicators. Ecol Indic 63: 89–99. [CrossRef]
- Dayton PK, Thrush SF, et al. 1995. Environmental effects of marine fishing. Aquat Conserv: Mar Freshw Ecosyst 5: 205–232. [CrossRef]
- Dean HK. 2008. The use of polychaetes (Annelida) as indicator species of marine pollution: a review. Rev Biol Trop 56: 11–38.
- Diaz-Castañeda V, Frontier S, et al. 1993. Experimental re-establishment of a soft bottom community: utilization of multivariate analyses to characterize different benthic recruitments. Estuar Coast Shelf Sci 37: 387–402. [CrossRef]
- Fauchald K, Jumars PA. The diet of worms: a study of polychaete feeding guilds, Aberdeen University Press, 1979.
- Fearnley H, Cruickshanks K, et al. The effect of bait harvesting on bird distribution and foraging behaviour in Poole Harbour SPA. Unpublished report by Footprint Ecology for Natural England, 2013.
- Ferré B, de Madron XD, et al. 2008. Impact of natural (waves and currents) and anthropogenic (trawl) resuspension on the export of particulate matter to the open ocean: application to the Gulf of Lion (NW Mediterranean). Cont Shelf Res 28: 2071–2091. [CrossRef]
- Franklin DJ, Humphreys J, et al. An investigation into the annual cycle of phytoplankton abundance in Poole Harbour and its relationship with Manila clam nutrition, Report for the Marine Management Organisation, 2012.
- George J. 1964. The life history of the cirratulid worm, Cirriformia tentaculata, on an intertidal mudflat. J Mar Biol Assoc UK 44: 47–65. [CrossRef]
- Gibbs MT, Browman HI. 2015. Risk assessment and risk management: a primer for marine scientists. ICES J Mar Sci: J Cons 232.
- Goss-Custard JD, West AD, et al. 2006. Intake rates and the functional response in shorebirds (Charadriiformes) eating macro-invertebrates. Biol Rev 81: pp. 501–529. [CrossRef]
- Grassle J. 1974. Opportunistic life histories and genetic systems in marine benthic polychaetes. J Mar Res 32: 253–284.
- Grassle JF, Sanders HL. 1973. Life histories and the role of disturbance. Deep-Sea Res 20: 643–659.
- Gray J. The Ecology of Marine Sediments: An Introduction to the Structure and Function of Marine Sediments. Cambridge Studies in Modern Biology, Vol. 2, 1981.
- Hall SJ, Harding MJ. 1997. Physical disturbance and marine benthic communities: the effects of mechanical harvesting of cockles on non-target benthic infauna. J Appl Ecol: 497–517. [CrossRef]
- Handley SJ, Willis TJ, et al. 2014. The importance of benchmarking habitat structure and composition for understanding the extent of fishing impacts in soft sediment ecosystems. J Sea Res 86: 58–68. [CrossRef]
- Herbert RJ, Ross K, et al. Intertidal invertebrates and biotopes of Poole Harbour SSSI and survey of Brownsea Island Lagoon, Bournemouth University Report to Natural England, 2010.
- Herbert RJ, Willis J, et al. 2012. Invasion in tidal zones on complex coastlines: modelling larvae of the non-native Manila clam, Ruditapes philippinarum, in the UK. J Biogeogr 39: 585–599. [CrossRef]
- Humphreys J. 2005. 3. Salinity and tides in Poole Harbour: Estuary or lagoon? Proc Mar Sci 7, 35–47. [CrossRef]
- Humphreys J, Harris MR, et al. 2015. Introduction, dispersal and naturalization of the Manila clam Ruditapes philippinarum in British estuaries, 1980–2010. J Mar Biol Assoc UK 95: 1163–1172. [CrossRef]
- Jensen A, Humphreys J, et al. 2005. 13. The Manila Clam in Poole Harbour, Proc Mar Sci 7: pp. 163–173. [CrossRef]
- Kaiser MJ, Clarke KR, et al. 2006. Global analysis of response and recovery of benthic biota to fishing. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 311: 1–14. [CrossRef]
- Kraberg AC, Wasmund N, et al. 2011. Regime shifts in the marine environment: the scientific basis and political context. Mar Pollut Bull 62: 7–20. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Lardicci C, Ceccherelli G, et al. 1997. Streblospio shrubsolii (Polychaeta: Spionidae) temporal fluctuations in size and reproductive activity. Cah Biol Mar 38: 207–214.
- Levin SA, Paine RT. 1974. Disturbance, patch formation, and community structure. Proc Natl Acad Sci 71: pp. 2744–2747. [CrossRef]
- Levin S, Whitfield M. 1994. Patchiness in marine and terrestrial systems: from individuals to populations [and Discussion]. Philos Trans r Soc Lond B: Biol Sci 343: 99–103. [CrossRef]
- Lindeboom H, de Groot S. 1998. IMPACT-II: The effects of different types of fisheries on the North Sea and Irish Sea benthic ecosystems.
- Malvern. 2017. Website: http://www.malvern.com/en/products/product-range/mastersizer-range/mastersizer-3000/. Last Accessed February 2017.
- Martín J, Puig P, et al. 2015. Trawling-induced daily sediment resuspension in the flank of a Mediterranean submarine canyon. Deep Sea Res Part II: Top Stud Oceanogr 104: 174–183. [CrossRef]
- Mayer LM, Schick DF, et al. 1991. Effects of commercial dragging on sedimentary organic matter. Mar Environ Res 31: 249–261. [CrossRef]
- Meyerson LA, Reaser JK. 2002. Biosecurity: moving toward a comprehensive approach. BioScience 52: 593–600. [CrossRef]
- Molnar JL, Gamboa RL, et al. 2008. Assessing the global threat of invasive species to marine biodiversity. Front Ecol Environ 6: 485–492. [CrossRef]
- Mosbahi N, Pezy JP, et al. 2016. Immediate effect of clam harvesting on intertidal benthic communities in the mudflat zones of kneiss islands (central mediterranean sea). J Aquac Res Dev 7: 2. [CrossRef]
- O'Neill F, Summerbell K. 2011. The mobilisation of sediment by demersal otter trawls. Mar Pollut Bull 62: 1088–1097. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Palanques A, Puig P, et al. 2014. Effects of bottom trawling on the Ebro continental shelf sedimentary system (NW Mediterranean). Cont Shelf Res 72: 83–98. [CrossRef]
- Parker L, Pinn E. Ecological effects of pump-scoop dredging for cockles on the intertidal benthic communities, The Ecology of Poole Harbour, Elsevier, London, 2005, pp. 205–218.
- Pauly D. 1995. Anecdotes and the shifting baseline syndrome of fisheries. Trends Ecol Evol 10: 430. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Pearson T, Rosenberg R. 1978. Macrobenthic succession in relation to organic enrichment and pollution of the marine environment. Oceanogr Mar Biol Ann Rev 16: 229–311.
- Pickett STA, White PS. (eds.). The Ecology of Natural Disturbance and Patch Dynamics. Academic Press, Orlando, FL, 1985, p. 472.
- Piersma T, Koolhaas A, et al. 2001. Long-term indirect effects of mechanical cockle-dredging on intertidal bivalve stocks in the Wadden Sea. J Appl Ecol 38: 976–790. [CrossRef]
- Pinedo S, Sardá R, et al. 2000. Effect of sediment particle size on recruitment of Owenia fusiformis in the Bay of Blanes (NW Mediterranean Sea): an experimental approach to explain field distribution. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 203: 205–213. [CrossRef]
- Pranovi F, Da Ponte F, et al. 2004. A multidisciplinary study of the immediate effects of mechanical clam harvesting in the Venice Lagoon. ICES J Mar Sci: J Cons 61: 43–52. [CrossRef]
- Rossi F, Lardicci C. 2002. Role of the nutritive value of sediment in regulating population dynamics of the deposit-feeding polychaete Streblospio shrubsolii. Mar Biol 140: 1129–1138. [CrossRef]
- Sanders JL, Kendall MA, et al. 2007. Can functional groups be used to indicate estuarine ecological status? Hydrobiologia 588: 45–58. [CrossRef]
- Sardá R, Martin D. 1993. Populations of Streblospio (Polychaeta: Spionidae) in temperate zones: demography and production. J Mar Biol Assoc UK 73: 769–784. [CrossRef]
- Scaps P. 2002. A review of the biology, ecology and potential use of the common ragworm Hediste diversicolor (OF Müller) (Annelida: Polychaeta). Hydrobiologia 470: 203–218. [CrossRef]
- Schwinghamer P, Gordon DC, et al. 1998. Effects of experimental otter trawling on surficial sediment properties of a sandy-bottom ecosystem on the grand banks of Newfoundland. Conserv Biol 12: 1215–1222. [CrossRef]
- Sebesvari Z, Esser F, et al. 2006. Sediment-associated cues for larval settlement of the infaunal spionid polychaetes Polydora cornuta and Streblospio benedicti. J Exp Mar Biol Ecol 337: 109–120. [CrossRef]
- Southern Science. An experimental study on the impact of clam dredging on soft sediment macro invertebrates. Report to English Nature, 1998.
- Spencer B, Kaiser M, et al. 1998. Intertidal clam harvesting: benthic community change and recovery. Aquac Res 29: 429–437. [CrossRef]
- Thistle D. 1981. Natural physical disturbances and communities of marine soft bottoms. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 6: 223–228. [CrossRef]
- Thrush SF, Hewitt JE, et al. 1998. Disturbance of the marine benthic habitat by commercial fishing: impacts at the scale of the fishery. Ecol Appl 8: pp. 866–879. [CrossRef]
- Underwood A. 1993. The mechanics of spatially replicated sampling programmes to detect environmental impacts in a variable world. Austral Ecol 18: 99–116. [CrossRef]
- Utting S, Spencer B. The hatchery culture of bivalve mollusc larvae and juveniles, Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, Directorate of Fisheries Research, 1991.
- Wallingford HR. Poole Harbour approach channel deepening: hydrodynamic and sedimentation studies. Technical Report EX 4945, Wallingford, UK, 2004.
- Warwick RM, Clarke KR. 1993. Increased variability as a symptom of stress in marine communities. J Exp Mar Biol Ecol 172: 215–226. [CrossRef]
- Wilson FS. 1990. Temporal and spatial patterns of settlement: a field study of molluscs in Bogue Sound, North Carolina. J Exp Mar Biol Ecol 139: 201–220. [CrossRef]
- WoRMS. 2017. World Register of Marine Species. http://www.marinespecies.org/. Last Accessed: 10th November 2017.
Current usage metrics show cumulative count of Article Views (full-text article views including HTML views, PDF and ePub downloads, according to the available data) and Abstracts Views on Vision4Press platform.
Data correspond to usage on the plateform after 2015. The current usage metrics is available 48-96 hours after online publication and is updated daily on week days.
Initial download of the metrics may take a while.